Things are still going well here in the cold country. We had our first game last night. It was a practice game, against a division 2 team, we are division 3. Before the game, we had only one practice as a team, so needless to say, I was a little nervous to see how it was going to go. I was excited though. What a great experience I have in front of me, so why not make the most of it. Anyways, we fought them hard the entire game. There were stretches where we were even ahead. All my nerves went away, of course, once the ball was in play. And for those of you who know me and my game, you will be proud to hear that I took the first shot of the game, that would be the first shot on the floor! lol, yes yes, I know, me shooting? What a crazy thought!
So, here come the stats for you numbers folk:
Minutes played: 40 (we play 4, 10 minute quarters)
Total FG: 7/14 (1/2 3's)
Total Reb: 5 (2 OB, 3 DB)
Assists: 7
Steals: 3
TO's: 5 - in my defense, 3 of them were travels, which apparently I have to learn how to dribble again, cause its different here, but still, that's no excuse, I know
Now that the stats are out of the way..I had a really good time playing. I enjoyed my teammates a lot and I think they enjoyed me as well. I didn't feel out of place on the court with them, and even in the TO's it wasn't awkward. I will admit that the coach spoke in English this time around, but on the court it wasn't bad. Other than the language barrier, once again, I think that we have a chance at being real good, which is always exciting. Of course, there is a difference between potential and reality. So, we will have to wait and see. I spoke briefly with my coaches after the game and they were really happy about the game and joined in my excitement for the future.
We have practices all this week, and then we have games on Sunday. It is what the call the Final Four, the Cup. It is something completely different than regular season. The Cup that we participate in is open to all divisions except for 1, they have their own cup. Its a similar setup as the NCAA finals, starting with 32 teams, ending up with 4 who play against each other. And that is this weekend..sorry for the long winded explanation, but I just learned it and it was interesting to me.
As far as any updates with the family..there aren't really any right now. Everyone started work and school yesterday, so I have the morning to myself, and right now it has been taken up by sleep and reading. The search for formal German lessons is failing. To learn German, in Germany is expensive. So, the lessons may not take place =/. I still hear German allll the time, but understanding anything is not there yet. Not unless its slow and directed at me, and even then its a little hard. I'll try and cut myself some slack seeing as it hasn't even been a week since I've been here.
I think that's it for this one. I'm going to look into the whole blogging scene, and see if I can figure it out. I've never done it before, but if I can do it, and its easier to just send you the link, then that might be the next email.
I'm attaching some pics that I talked about in the first email, from my host family trying on my oversized clothes =), and some from a little adventure my sisters and I went on. Hope you enjoy!
Until the next time..
Ciao!
Serena
my little sister, Melina
my two sisters, Aliki and Melina
Aliki, Melina, me
No comments:
Post a Comment